For quite a few years now, there have been a lot of advancements in the medical device industry. Chronic conditions of patients can be addressed by these advancements that have helped improve quality of life for millions of people. By analyzing average life spans, the well being of a nation can be measured by scientists. Innovations in the medical technology have led to the creation of life-saving devices and equipment. This post discusses how medical device technologies have helped increase life longevity.
How has the Innovative Medical Technology Helped?
Innovations in the medical technology have touched many lives in many ways. These technologies enable people to lead independent and productive lives, despite illnesses and pains. Here are some of the innovations or advancements in the medical technology, which have helped countless patients:
- Glucose Monitoring Technologies: Diabetes is a chronic condition, which affects people of all ages. This disease is caused due to excess level of glucose and sugar in the blood. This disease, if not treated well, can cause complications such as blindness or even damage of the peripheral nerve. However, those suffering from this disease can now easily measure and monitor their blood glucose levels with the help of glucose monitoring technologies. They can control the glucose level in blood effectively, and reduce further complications of the disease.
- Coronary Stents & Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator: Coronary stents are another medical device that have benefitted from advanced medical technologies. The stents are artificial tubes, which are used to keep the arteries open while treating a coronary heart disease. The use of these stents in the treatment of cardiovascular disease have drastically reduced the number of heart attacks or heart failures. There is another device called the Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD). This device is implanted in the patients who have a risk of sudden cardiac arrest. How has this helped? There has been a dramatic rise in the cardiac arrest survival rate. It has been observed that 98% of patients with ICD can survive cardiac arrest. Without the device the chances of survival are just 5%.
- Surgical Advancements: The constant advancements in medical technology have also helped those who are undergoing different surgeries. Here are a few examples of the surgeries that got benefitted due to the medical advancements:
- Aneurysms Surgery: An aneurysm is a bulge formed in blood vessels in different locations in a body. Due to advanced treatments, the recovery time from an aneurysm has dropped to around four weeks; with older procedures it took around an entire year to recover. With the use of new technologies in medical treatments, hysterectomy (having recovery time of six to eight weeks) got replaced with endometrial ablation, having recovery time of two to four days.
- Knee Replacements: Previously, those suffering from knee injuries required home supports prior to technological advancements. Later, as the medical treatments became more advanced, total knee replacement is possible. It has been observed that knee replacement surgery has a good ratio of cost-effectiveness.
- Cataract Surgery: Cataracts is a disease that affects vision. The surgery used to require three to five days stay in hospital. Today, this surgery is done in a day.
Every year, medical devices are becoming more and more advanced, and safer. Like the aforementioned examples, there are several other areas where medical innovations have shown their advantages. Indeed, advanced technologies used in medical devices have helped increase life longevity and keep people active longer in life. Metal Craft and Riverside Machine & Engineering are proud and excited to be part of this industry and will continue to assist in making a better and healthier tomorrow.